According to the National Fire Protection Association, 2,620 Americans die annually in household fires. Home fires also cause more than 11,000 injuries and $7 billion in property damage. Experts agree that prevention and early detection are essential to avoiding injuries and fatalities from fire. One vital step to making your home safer is adding a fire detection component to your home security system. Today’s smart home security systems don’t just protect against intruders. They help keep your family safe on multiple levels, including fire prevention.
What Should I Do If I Smell Smoke In My Home?
If you smell smoke in your home or if your fire detector sounds the alarm, take these steps to help you stay safe:
- Alert family members immediately.
- Use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire if you can.
- Cover your nose with a shirt or damp towel as you exit your home.
- Get out of your house and don’t go back inside for valuables.
- Call 911.
However, relying on your nose is not a good plan. It’s essential to have a network of smoke detectors that alert you at the first sign of smoke. Many home security companies now include smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring as part of their packages.
How Can My Home Security System Help With Smoke Detection?
Smart smoke detectors are an essential element in any 21st Century home.
- They include photoelectric sensors that can distinguish between different types of fire, using light beams to detect smoke particles.
- Some sensors can detect temperature rises before smoke is present.
- Humidity sensors distinguish smoke from steam to avoid false alarms.
- Interconnected systems allow upstairs detectors to alert you when downstairs devices sense smoke.
- Most smart systems also offer carbon monoxide detection.
- Security services offer 24/7 monitoring for fire, carbon monoxide, and flooding.
- Smart smoke detectors link to your smartphone to send alerts when you’re not home.
How Do Smart Smoke Detectors Reduce Hassle?
Smoke detectors save lives. But let’s face it: old school detectors can be annoying, with false alarms and chirpy low battery alerts. Smart detection systems reduce the annoyance factor by:
- Alerting you when batteries are low without the chirps.
- Reducing false alarms from cooking thanks to high-tech sensors.
- Allowing you to silence your detectors with voice controls when false alarms occur.
- Distinguishing between steam and smoke to avoid false alarms when you shower.
Where Should I Install Smoke Detectors?
Today’s smart smoke detectors offer a sleek, contemporary design and look terrific in your home. As a reminder, it’s still crucial to place them throughout your home, including:
- In every bedroom
- Outside bedrooms
- In living spaces
- In the basement
- In the kitchen (not too close to the stove or other cooking appliances)
- In or near stairways to catch rising heat and smoke
Aegis Technologies: Keeping Your Home Safe Inside and Out
At Aegis Technologies, we know that home security goes beyond preventing break-ins. With new technology, today’s systems can protect residents from smoke, fire, carbon monoxide, and flooding– even when they’re not home. Sometimes staying safe means being smart. And when it comes to the best in security technology, we’ve got you covered.