Home security is a big deal. It’s a 14 billion dollar industry in the United States, and experts project it to grow by leaps and bounds in the next decade. And with good reason: we all want to protect our homes, families, and property from intruders and those who would do us harm. But are home security companies all the same? And does it really matter which one I choose? The answer to the second question is a resounding yes. Home security systems run the gamut from a minimalist electronic doorbell approach to a comprehensive customized setup. Let’s check out the differences and tips for finding the right fit.
What Types of Security Systems Are Available?
Here’s a look at some of the most common types of home security systems. Homeowners should choose based on their budget, lifestyle, housing situation, and family needs.
DIY Home Security
Many of us are familiar with DIY home security systems thanks to popular products like Ring doorbells. But for luxury homes and large properties, they’re likely not enough. Homeowners can install DIY systems like Ring, SimpliSafe, Ooma themselves for a low cost. For around $200, you get a basic kit featuring motion and entry sensors and alarms. If you’re willing to pay more, you can add optional connections to security cameras, video doorbells, smart door locks, and other functions. Most of these companies also offer optional monitoring packages with a monthly fee. DIY systems are easy to install, user-friendly, and affordable, and don’t require extended contracts like traditional security companies. They integrate with smart home devices like Alexa and Google Assistant and are an excellent option for small homes and apartments. However, DIY systems are a one-size-fits-all approach. They’re limited in scope and generally don’t provide enough coverage for spacious homes and properties.
“Traditional” Home Security
If you’re walking through a suburban Northern Virginia neighborhood, chances are you’ll see a sign for a traditional security company like ADT. Traditional home security has made its way into the 21st Century, offering smart technology like sensors and cameras with remote monitoring. The hallmark of conventional security companies is that they provide their own technicians for installation and repair and use proprietary equipment, which customers must use as part of the deal. Packages include installation, equipment, and monitoring and start with a baseline of around $30 per month. Packages rise in price if you need more coverage, and most companies require a multi-year contract. The standard traditional security package works well for many clients in standard suburban settings. However, sophisticated clients usually require a customized approach.
Customized Home Security
As our homes become more wired and as our security needs increase, customized home security is trending. Skilled technicians mix and match the very best products in every area and work with top-notch cloud-based platforms to bring it all together. A customized home security firm has three primary areas of focus.
- Surveillance is an essential element of customized home security. It includes:
- HD-quality footage, motion-activated notifications, and high capacity storage for long-term recording.
- Monitoring gates, garages, storerooms, personal offices, and other areas where you need an additional layer of security.
- Break-in and emergency alarms.
- Motion-triggered alerts.
- Panic alerts.
- Monitoring options include self-monitoring with remote viewing and sharing capabilities or professional monitoring depending on the homeowner’s needs.
- Controlling access to your home to keep intruders out while making it easy for family members and support personnel to come and go safely. Access control includes smart locks and secure access for service providers like dog walkers and cleaners.
How Do Customized Home Security Companies Operate?
There are three essential components to successfully protecting your home and assets through customized security:
- Top-of-the-line equipment from carefully selected companies is critical. Aegis Technologies finds the best source for each type of equipment and seamlessly integrates each puzzle piece to create a complete security ecosystem.
- Installation and maintenance by a team of experts: Aegis Technologies’ tech and sales teams are the best in the business.
- Cloud-based control, automation, and monitoring through a trusted, top-notch platform, allowing all of the technology to work together for your protection.
How Do My Custom Security Company and My Technology Platform Work Together?
Aegis Technologies has chosen the technology platform Alarm.com as our partner in giving clients seamless control over all of their technology equipment. Alarm.com is a cloud-based provider that integrates equipment from various companies to create an integrated and comprehensive security environment. Alarm.com offers very different services from traditional home security businesses like ADT. Alarm.com doesn’t provide standard home security packages (including equipment and monitoring). Instead, they provide the tech backbone that allows custom security companies like Aegis Technologies to tie everything together. Alarm.com doesn’t sell hardware like control panels, cameras, and sensors. That’s where custom providers like Aegis Technologies come in: offering the best equipment and installation and contracting with professional monitoring companies as needed. It’s the perfect partnership for custom solutions that meet the needs of sophisticated clients.
Keeping Your Home and Family Safe With Aegis Technologies
Aegis Technologies started as a security company in 1993. For nearly three decades, we’ve helped keep the DMV’s most luxurious homes, properties, and businesses safe and secure. Since then, Aegis Technologies has expanded into audio/video and control automation, bringing luxury and convenience to smart homes around the region. However, custom security remains a big part of what we do. Thanks to our decades of expertise and relationships with the world’s best security equipment suppliers, we can design a custom security approach to fit your needs, space, and lifestyle.