Did you know that just an inch of water in your home or business can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage? Natural floods and household leaks can be devastating. In addition to financial losses, many families suffer the loss of irreplaceable heirlooms and mementos. Fortunately, today’s smart home security systems can help detect and prevent water damage, saving money and creating peace of mind.
What Are the Main Causes of Water Damage?
Devastation from flooding related to natural disasters often makes the news. However, water damage usually has more insidious causes. Your home or business is more likely to be damaged by household leaks from appliances or burst pipes than rainstorms. Water damage can be caused by:
- Burst pipes
- Malfunctioning appliances
- Clogged gutters
- Exterior drainage issues
- Rainstorms and other weather conditions
- How Can I Prevent Water Damage in My Home?
There are several effective strategies for preventing flooding and household leaks in your home or business:
- Have plumbing and appliance lines inspected regularly.
- Purchase a sump pump to collect and remove excess water from your home in case of flooding.
- Make sure your gutters, foundation, and drainage systems are functioning correctly.
- Include a water management monitoring system in your smart home security system.
Can My Security System Detect Water Leaks?
A 21st Century home security system goes way beyond protecting your home from break-ins. Today’s high-tech systems can detect leaks and prevent costly water damage, adding an essential layer to your home security package. Your security system can include water sensors on your appliances, including water heaters, washing machines, and dishwashers. We can also monitor sump pump activity, open and close valves remotely and even turn off water in case of flooding. Aegis Technologies offers water management services through our partners at Alarm.com, monitoring water sensors and valves throughout your home. Our services include a heavy-duty smart switch, which works with water sensors to alert you when your sump pump stops running or if water levels get too high. Alarm.com’s mobile app lets customers know when anything unexpected arises.
Adding water management to your home security package allows you to:
- Check the status of smart-switch shut-off valves and water sensors.
- Open and close smart-switch shut-off valves remotely.
- Automatically shut off your water when sensors are activated.
- Monitor your sump pump and get alerts when problems arise.
Aegis Technologies started as a home security company three decades ago. We’ve embraced the industry’s evolution as technology advances. The move to customized wireless home security allows us to protect your home in new ways, including protection from leaks and floods. We offer professional design and installation with monitoring through our partners at Alarm.com. Our systems are entirely customized and allow you to monitor your home from your smartphone or tablet. Adding water management to your package is an investment that can save thousands in case of a flood or leak. It’s just one more way Aegis Technologies provides top-notch security to commercial and residential clients around the region. Let’s talk about how we can protect your home or business, focusing on prevention and peace of mind.