Did you know that nearly half of American relocations occur from May through August? Summer is the peak moving season as families take advantage of pleasant weather and look to get settled before the new school year begins. When you move into a new home, there’s always a mile-long checklist. Home security isn’t always at the top of that list, but savvy homebuyers are making it a priority. Homes can become a target for burglars when a new family moves in. However, a move is often a perfect opportunity to upgrade your home security system and add features to keep your family safe. Here are some tips for protecting your home and keeping your family safe after a move:
- A connected home security system is one of the most critical features you can add to your new home. It helps increase your sense of safety in your new neighborhood and lets potential burglars know you’re not a target. Moving into a new home is a perfect opportunity to install a smart home security system. Must-have features include:
- Wireless sensors on doors and windows
- Security cameras featuring alerts to your smartphone and live streaming
- Video doorbells
- 24/7 monitoring
- Remote alerts for smoke detectors and smart water valves can protect your home against unexpected hazards
- Make sure your doors and windows are secure and made from high-quality materials.
- Consider upgrading to smart locks. Changing your locks when you move is always a must. But why replace your locks with traditional hardware when you can upgrade to 21st-century smart locks? You can let trusted visitors in remotely without a key, including friends, family, house sitters and dog walkers. Smart locks also allow you to control and monitor who’s accessing your home.
- A move is the perfect time to install automated blinds and shades. Today’s technology-enhanced blinds combine style and ambiance with home security and energy efficiency benefits. Automated shades, controlled via a touchpad or smartphone, can help you maximize energy efficiency in heating, cooling, and lighting. They also offer an essential security component by restricting views of your home’s interior and closing when you’re away.
- Take time to get to know your property, including potential “hiding places” for burglars around your home.
- Protect your home’s exterior with outdoor lighting, motion sensors, outdoor video cameras and specialized outdoor contact sensors. Setting up security technology outside helps keep kids and pets safe and protects valuable outdoor furniture and lawn equipment.
- Get to know your neighbors. Creating a community can help protect your home. Neighbors watching out for neighbors is one of the best ways to keep your home and family safe. Look into neighborhood watch groups and join helpful community social media pages.
Are You Moving? Find a Reliable Home Security Partner
Relocating can be daunting. There’s so much on your plate, from dealing with logistics to getting the kids settled and ready for new friends and school environments. Finding a trusted technology partner to set up a connected smart home security system is one of the most valuable steps. Aegis Technologies is the home security, automation, and audio-visual provider of choice for high-end homes in Northern Virginia and around the region. We offer security and technology integration services, including complete and customized system design to meet your unique needs. Our services also include professional installation from our top-notch team of experts. If you’re new to the area and want to upgrade your home security system, contact us for a free consultation. Moving isn’t always easy, but every move is an opportunity to increase peace of mind and improve safety and security features in your new home.