We crave spending time outdoors and want outdoor living spaces that look terrific. But, we don’t want to give up some of our indoor conveniences, like staying connected to our sound and tv systems. Today’s high-end homes have it all: gorgeous landscaping, welcoming hardscaping, and a killer entertainment system. Bringing the best audiovisual elements outside creates a true outdoor living space. Sound systems and video equipment enhance life around the pool and in our outdoor kitchens and patios. When we think of outdoor entertainment equipment, we’re going for looks, durability and, of course, the best sound and images, whether it’s watching a game, movie night with friends, or grooving to favorite tunes poolside.
What Elements Do I Need For The Best Outdoor Sound System?
As most of us know, putting indoor AV equipment outside is a no-no. We want to select equipment designed for outdoor use. But we also want the best quality sound and images. Finding an experienced contractor who can source and install the right components for our outdoor living space is the first step. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- When it comes to outdoor sound systems, coverage is key. You want to hit all the spots in your outdoor space. Consistent quality around the pool and all over the yard are essential. We’re usually creating complex systems involving multiple speakers organized into zones, just like high-end whole-house audio systems in larger homes. The zone system lets us adjust the volume for each location.
- Another essential aspect is determining which speakers will work best and how many we need. Fortunately, we have access to incredible speakers designed for outdoor spaces from favorite suppliers like Bowers & Wilkins and Triad. These top-quality speakers are durable and certified for outdoor use. They’re rainproof, sunproof, and designed for durability without sacrificing sound quality.
- Remember, you may need ten or more outdoor speakers for the pool, patio, firepit, and beyond. In-wall or in-ceiling speakers mounted on home exteriors, covered porches and pergolas are excellent options when possible. But your contractor should also have experience with creative installation solutions for outdoor spaces. The possibilities include cool high-quality speakers that look like rocks, in-ground subwoofers for bass effects, and weatherproof boxes hidden in your landscaping.
How Can I Achieve The Best Video Experience In My Outdoor Living Space?
Outdoor video is a hot trend. We want the best quality images from audiovisual equipment that “lives” outside. It’s like setting up a home theater but in an outdoor space. In addition to integrated sound systems, TV screens, projectors, and projector screens are essential components. What outdoor entertainment doesn’t mean is simply plugging in a flatscreen outside. Instead, we bring in specialized outdoor televisions like Seura’s stunning high-end models, built to withstand heat and cold and offer a brighter screen intended for outdoor viewing. Even with televisions built for outdoors, we recommend a special enclosure or installing in a sheltered or partially sheltered location for protection. We also source the best projectors and high-end outdoor projection screens for evening viewing.
Waterproofing and Weatherproofing My Outdoor Entertainment System
From speakers to televisions to remotes, ensuring our outdoor AV equipment can withstand the elements is an essential part of the process. This includes:
- Speakers and televisions designed with rain and sun in mind allow for outdoor use year-round.
- Waterproof remote controls like Crestron’s state-of-the-art models allow you to control lighting, climate, and audiovisual elements while floating in your pool.
- Your contractor should have experience installing outdoor cabling to protect it from the elements, animals, and beyond. Make sure your AV company is communicating with your landscape company for seamless integration.
- Keep delicate equipment (like receivers and amplifiers) inside as much as possible. An inside technology rack is an excellent approach–with a remote that works through exterior walls.
Creating The Soundtrack To Your Outdoor Living Space
When you’ve got your landscaping and hardscaping just the way you want them, your outdoor entertainment system should be exactly right too. Creating the perfect AV setup for outdoor spaces can be tricky as we balance aesthetics, durability, and audiovisual quality. With the right equipment and expert installation, you can get the outdoor entertainment system of your dreams. Aegis Technologies has years of experience in design, equipment selection, and wiring to create the soundtrack for your outdoor paradise. Our high-end systems are designed with convenience, ease of use, and plenty of fun in mind.