We love winter nights. The short days of December and January bring crisp, starlit nights that make our homes feel even cozier. But when darkness sets in before many of us get home, it’s not always easy to navigate. Sometimes returning home from work at 6 p.m. feels more like midnight. We have safety concerns when we don’t have a clear view of what’s happening on our property. Outdoor lighting is a terrific solution for long winter nights, offering both security and aesthetic advantages. There’s nothing like having warm outdoor lights greet you when you come home from work–and the ability to control your exterior lights when you’re away.
Does Outdoor Lighting Make My Home More Secure?
Experts agree that exterior lights can deter burglars. However, one of the main factors in successful deterrence is giving the impression that you’re home when you’re not. Simply leaving bright lights on at night can actually draw attention to your home, potentially making it a target for burglars. That’s why automation and remote control are essential. The ability to control lighting when you’re away is one of the most significant advantages of smart home technology. Motion-activated lights are another vital component of using lighting for security. Motion sensors allow you to surprise potential intruders and alert family members and neighbors when someone’s on your property. Many of today’s smart lighting also includes camera components for an extra layer of security. Automating your exterior lighting has many advantages: security, safety, accident prevention, and aesthetics. And with today’s technology, you can control your lighting from anywhere.
What Are The Benefits Of Outdoor Lighting?
- Security is one of the most significant reasons homeowners invest in exterior lighting systems. Automated lighting allows you to control your lights when you’re not there and time them according to your schedule for maximum security.
- Safety is another excellent benefit of smart lighting. Automated exterior lights help keep you and your guests safe, avoiding falls and other accidents by illuminating walkways and entryways.
- Aesthetics: today’s high-tech exterior lighting options are simply gorgeous. In addition to serving practical purposes, they illuminate our decks, patios, and walkways in the most beautiful ways. Of course, exterior lighting is a must-have feature in any state-of-the-art patio space and lets you use your outdoor spaces all year long.
- Energy savings: technology lets us control our interior and exterior lights based on how we use our homes, saving energy and reducing utility costs.
What Are Essential Outdoor Lighting Features?
Today’s outdoor lighting options make it easy to secure and illuminate our homes. We can control lighting using keypads, smart switches, voice control technology, and smartphones. We can also integrate our lighting with shades, blinds, and thermostats for seamless whole-house control. Some of our favorite options include:
- Cloud-connected outdoor bulbs controlled by a gateway or hub put smart lighting at our fingertips.
- Smart switches let you control your lighting and other outdoor appliances.
- Floodlights with built-in motion sensors and cameras are a must-have when it comes to security.
- Smart spotlights highlight favorite architectural and landscaping features and boost safety and security at the same time.
- Smart porch lights are a significant aesthetic asset. They also work with the rest of your lighting map to offer an extra layer of security.
- Automated path lighting protects safety and prevents falls and other accidents. It also brightens and beautifies your landscape.
Choosing Technology Professionals For Outdoor Lighting
Your landscaper can give you the basics when it comes to exterior lighting. But if security is a priority, a home technology firm is the way to go. Outdoor lighting not only brightens and beautifies your exterior spaces, but it also operates as a crucial component of your automated home security plan.
That’s why choosing skilled professionals who understand both the technical and aesthetic sides of exterior lighting is a must. From complex wiring and setting up wi-fi or Bluetooth control to choosing the devices and fixtures that will work best for you, the Aegis Technology team has it covered. We’ll create an intelligent map to give you the most functional and aesthetic solutions. We can also integrate lighting with shades and temperature control for whole-home environmental management.
Aegis Technologies started as a security company and expanded into a premier audio-visual provider. Security remains at the heart of many of our projects. With our top-notch team and industry-leading products like Lutron’s Limelight wireless lighting line, we can help bring the best in exterior lighting to your landscape–and keep your home safe and secure.