Table of Contents
Despite significant advances in home security technology, a surprisingly high number of American homes don’t have security systems. Especially in the “safe” communities many of us in Northern Virginia are blessed to call home, home security systems may seem unnecessary. But study after study indicates that home security systems have a significant deterrent effect on property crimes. Having a home security system helps keep you safe. And it’s not just about break-ins. Today’s systems can also prevent damage and injury from fire, flooding, and other threats. 21st Century home security systems are easier to use than ever, with touchscreen controls and remote access via your smartphone. You can also integrate your wireless home security system with your overall home automation for a holistic smart home approach.
Do Home Security Systems Work?
The FBI’s “Crime in the United States” report confirmed more than 1.1 million burglaries in 2019. Yet many homeowners are still under the illusion that it won’t happen to them. According to a 2020 report from the market intelligence firm Parks Associates, only 20 percent of US homes with broadband have interactive security systems.
Research confirms that security systems have a significant deterrent effect. A 2009 Rutgers University study found that “alarm systems are a valuable crime-fighting tool.” The study found that “an installed burglar alarm makes a dwelling less attractive to the would-be and active intruders and protects the home without displacing burglaries to nearby homes.” The National Council for Security and Safety reports that homes without security systems are 300 percent more likely to be burglarized.
The other advantages of home security systems are notification and documentation. Today’s security systems let us know when something is amiss, even when we’re not home. And video evidence can help law enforcement catch and charge the culprits.
How Does a 21st-Century Home Security System Work?
Wireless technology has led to great strides in home security. Today’s wireless home security systems feature:
- Sensors that communicate wirelessly with a central hub (controlled by touchscreens and linked to smartphones for remote management).
- Contact and motion sensors at points of entry, including doors and windows.
- Environmental sensors that will detect smoke, carbon monoxide, and water.
- High decibel alarms: studies show the sound of an alarm deters burglars.
- Professional monitoring: your home security provider contracts with an off-site monitoring service to keep an eye on your home and alert you and/or law enforcement if problems arise.
- Home security systems often feature high-tech cameras, including video doorbells and exterior cameras.
Is It Better to Have a Security System or Cameras?
Doorbell, and exterior and interior cameras are integral to many 21st Century home security systems. Homeowners sometimes think cameras alone may do the trick regarding home security. However, you miss out on significant deterrents if you have cameras without an integrated security system. Without integrated sensors, alarms, and off-site monitoring, your home lacks the essential features for scaring off potential burglars. Cameras also fail to protect against fire, carbon monoxide, and flooding, all components of a fully equipped system.
What Are The Benefits of Professional Installation for My Home Security System?
A basic DIY security system or doorbell camera can work for small properties. However, professional installation is the way to go for luxury homes. Some of the advantages of professional installation include:
- A comprehensive professional assessment of your security needs.
- Expert placement of cameras and sensors.
- An experienced team to handle complex installations and large properties.
- Professional monitoring via a trusted partner.
- Integration with your audio-visual and home automation setup.
For nearly three decades, Aegis Technologies has been the home security, home automation, and audio-visual service provider of choice for the finest homes in Northern Virginia. From our roots as a home security company, we understand our clients’ security needs and the best equipment and services to meet them. The benefits of a home security system are clear. Let us guide you in creating the best ways to protect your home, belongings and loved ones using state-of-the-art technology.