Moving and home renovations mean big changes. It’s always an exciting but incredibly stressful time. There are so many considerations it can be overwhelming, and it’s easy to overlook key service providers. It can help to make a checklist of contacts to notify when you move or undertake a big construction project. Usually, the names at the top of the list are obvious, but alerting behind-the-scenes players can make a big difference. If you’re moving or remodeling, don’t forget to let your home security company know in advance. It can help you avoid logistical complications and potential insurance problems.
How Can My Security Company Help During Remodeling or Construction?
A large-scale home improvement project usually involves strangers moving in and out of your home. With contractors, subcontractors, and construction workers on-site, foot traffic is high. Of course, you can’t always be present to supervise. Hiring a trusted contractor with excellent references is an essential first step. Professional monitoring provides an extra layer of protection as your remodel moves forward. Here are some tips for managing the security aspects of your remodel:
- Let your security provider know about the project in advance, so they’re up to speed on changes in routine.
- Be careful when giving security codes to contractors. Sometimes you have to do it to get the job done. However, it’s critical to limit the number of individuals who have access to your information and change your codes after the project is complete.
- Consider installing additional motion sensors and security cameras while work is going on. Extra security helps protect your belongings as well as your contractors’ materials.
- Upgrade to a professionally monitored system if you don’t have one in place to have eyes on your home even when you can’t be present.
- Consider adding sensors and alarm systems for water leaks, fires and other accidents during construction.
- Inform your security provider and insurance company if you need to disable your indoor sprinkler system or smoke detectors during construction. Your security provider can help you find solutions to keep your family safe.
Should I Get A New Security System When I Move?
Moving to a new home is an exciting change, but it often takes a while to settle in. When it comes to security, you want a top-notch system installed before you move in to ensure peace of mind in your new environment. You can also get a discount from your insurance company for installing a high-quality security system.
If you currently have a high-quality 5G-compatible security system, you can take your equipment when you move. If your system was professionally installed, it’s best to have your contractor remove and reinstall it for a local move. If you’re relocating to a new community, your security provider can help you choose a company in your new location. If you have an outdated security system, moving or remodeling is an excellent time to upgrade to a smart security system that meshes with other smart home applications, including thermostat and lighting controls. It’s an ideal time to move to wireless monitoring, update keypad controls and add smart home applications. If you’re shopping for a new system, here are some essential considerations:
- What packages does my provider offer? Do they consider my individual needs and the size of my home?
- Does my contractor provide professional installation and personalized customer service?
- Does my provider use high-quality equipment?
- Does my provider have excellent referrals?
- Who is my security provider’s professional monitoring partner?
Moving or Remodeling? Let Your Home Security Company Know
Your home security company provides vital services when you move or remodel, so it’s critical to communicate about your plans. They can supply a needed security boost when you have a construction project. They can also cover your security needs when you move and make the transition as seamless as possible. Aegis Technologies is a provider of choice for audio, video, control automation, and security services for homes and businesses in VA/MD/DC region. Our company’s roots are in home security, and we continue to pride ourselves on delivering personalized and integrated security services. Our knowledgeable team will analyze your security needs and offer the best equipment, professional installation, and ongoing customer service. We work with a carefully selected monitoring partner to ensure your security needs are covered–whatever changes life throws your way.