Table of Contents
SmartHome devices are transforming the way we work and play. They’re here to stay–and with good reason. They make everything from home security to managing daily tasks more convenient and more responsive. According to the independent safety review site Safety.com, there are now roughly 45 million “smart” households in the US. But SmartHome devices are vulnerable to hacking if users don’t follow necessary security protocols. When there’s a breach, it’s usually a result of user error or faulty installation. There are two essential steps for preventing a potentially devastating hack. First, find a trusted and responsive partner to install your devices and set up your network infrastructure. Second, educate yourself as a technology consumer and work with your provider to protect your home and family.
What Are The Dangers Of A SmartHome Hack?
When SmartHome devices are poorly secured, it leaves homeowners open to digital privacy invasion, identity theft, and even brick and mortar break-ins. One of the first things many of us think of is the scary idea of having an outsider break into security or monitoring cameras (hackers even go after high-tech baby monitors). But concerns about hacking go beyond surveillance fears. If a hacker gets into your network, they can easily disable alarm systems and locks. And if someone accesses your Wi-Fi network through your devices, they can access sensitive personal and financial information. According to Safety.com, some of the most vulnerable devices include:
- Outdoor devices like garage door openers, wireless doorbells, and smart sprinklers are easily accessible to someone on the street.
- In-home devices controlled through smartphones: smart bulbs, switches, security cameras, baby monitors, door locks and thermostats.
How Can I Keep My SmartHome Devices Secure?
Working with your home automation/security services partner, you can set up and protect the SmartHome of your dreams. Tech experts offer excellent tips to safeguard devices from hacks, and most of them come down to common sense. But sometimes the most significant vulnerabilities are the easiest to overlook. Here are some easy ways to keep your devices safe:
- Choose unique passwords and change passwords frequently. Never fall back on frequently-used passwords like PASSWORD or 1234.
- Update your devices regularly and follow through with manufacturer-recommended software updates.
- Secure your router and change the default password when setting it up.
- Create separate networks for home devices and other technology like laptops to make them harder to hack.
- Create a guest network for visitors to avoid giving out passwords and allowing outside access.
- Track log-ins on your network and talk with your provider about security devices that track new devices accessing your network.
- If you’re not tech-savvy, don’t try to DIY smart device setup: user error is responsible for most hacks. Instead, find a trusted audio visual/security services partner who can help you protect your network and devices.
SmartHome Security: The Right Partner Is Key
Very few of us have the skills and knowledge it takes to set up and fully protect a 21st Century SmartHome. That’s why choosing the right home partner is essential. Consumers need a company they can trust with the technology they rely on to make life more convenient and keep their families safe. That’s why choosing an independent local company like Aegis Technologies is such a smart move. Their reputation depends on keeping you safe and secure. Aegis offers the detail-oriented, personalized service that’s needed to meet clients’ needs. Our team can select the right devices and configure the perfect setup of routers, hubs, and switches to keep you connected and secure. When both convenience and security are essential, Aegis Technologies can help you achieve the best of both worlds.